Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Vision of White


Never had the guts to do it, but I've always admired white rooms inside magazine pages. First of all, I never could have a white room whenever I had kids living at home. And now that I'm a grandmother of three and probably more to come, I wouldn't dare try it at this phase of my life. In fact, I don't buy or wear white much because when I do I inevitably stain it. But I do truly love the monotone look with various shades of white together. You know what I mean: ecru, pearl, beige, ivory, tan, snow, antique white, alabaster, cream, eggshell, linen, taupe, vanilla, blush, bone, chalk, sugar, champagne, winter, oyster, seashell... I'd love to be in a room surrounded by a soothing white palette. It looks so airy, breezy, cool, and fresh. Makes you feel like you can breathe a sigh of relief and relax. It seems to give you mental clarity. The color white makes one think of purity and innocence. Imagine a white cast iron bed or maybe a hand carved white bed. The fresh linens are embellished with white-on-white embroidery and lace, covered by soft down-filled pillows just waiting for a weary head. The walls are whitewashed or covered with painted wainscoting and decorated with vintage ivory purses. On the dresser there is cut crystal and white porcelains sitting on delicate lace reminiscent of a more genteel era. Inside the vase are fresh cut white flowers from the garden. Hopefully, you can daydream about such a room, but I've also provided you with some images to enjoy. Trust the pictures bring to mind fond thoughts and perhaps even provide you with a little inspiration for creating your own enchanting space.

No comments: