Friday, May 8, 2009

Graduation


I remember it well. It was a warm night in May. I graduated from Alba High School in Bayou la Batre, but the ceremony took place in an auditorium in Mobile, AL. It was filled with happy parents and jubilant graduates all decked out in white caps and gowns. My cap fit just right over my parted-down-the-middle straight hair (popular in the '70s). I blended into the sea of white with great pride. Many years have passed (30 years, class of '79). In fact, I have been one of those proud parents in the audience a couple of times (CHS 2000, CHS & CC2005). My sons are grown, establishing themselves in careers and moving on to the next steps in their lives. But the memories that remain from graduation and all of these milestones are ever-present, and I treasure those special moments that I've been so blessed to experience. This time of year is are over-flowing with momentous events. Think back to your own cherished moments. With such cause to celebrate, why not throw a party? But memories are made in the everyday occurrences of life, too. Find ways to celebrate each day creating new memories to be treasured for years to come.

Unfortunately we didn't own a digital camera when my oldest son graduated high school. The photos shown are my youngest son who graduated from high school and 2 year college on the same day. He completed an accelerated program available here in WA State called Running Start. The last picture is from my 2003 WSU Graduation (Bachelor of Arts in Education). Yes, I accomplished that kind of later in life, which proves it's never too late!
By the way, eventually I'll scan graduation photos that are missing and add it to this web site blog.

No comments: