Monday, May 4, 2009

Sweets


What is it about bakeries that makes me lose control of my senses? I just love the heavenly aromas and staring at those glass cases filled with goodies. My mouth waters just thinking about it. I'm hooked on sweets. Growing up, I remember eating more than my share of Krispy Kreme donuts. While shopping in Birmingham, my mother would occasionally splurge and buy chocolate covered raisins, turtles, or maple nut goodies from the candy counter of the Pizitz Department Store (sadly, it no longer exists). Or she'd buy me a Rocky Road ice cream while she'd have black walnut or butter pecan from 31 Ice Cream (I think it's now called Baskin Robbins). If I was good getting vaccinations at the medical clinic, we'd stop on the way home for Icees (either cola or cherry flavor ). What a treat!



Tribute: My oldest sister is ten years older than myself. She took care of me as much as my mother. A couple of early memories I have: her fixing my hair for church and her giving me Peptol Bismol in a spoon on the front porch when I was sick. When I was ten, I remember she picked me up from school when I was ill. Let me think of how to describe her to you . . . As far as appearances go, she's conservative and very pleasing to the eye. When it comes to personality, she's calm, mild-mannered, warm-hearted, and agreeable. Often, I've seen her come to the aid of the unfortunate. As to her abilities, she's level-headed, sensible, dependable, and owns a steadfast energy. I've always admired her sense of responsibility and stability. Brain -wise, she's a quick learner. While I immediately call someone for help, she tackles and figures out technology things like DVRs, digital cameras, computers/software/programs ... She is a down-to-earth, nurturing type of person, happiest puttering around at home, creating a beautiful home atmosphere. She's a woman who's familiar with tools (measuring tape, level, electric drill, staple gun, screwdriver, wrench, pliers, hammer, hand saw, paint brush, rake, shovel, hoe, clippers, scrapers, and paintbrush). No kidding. When she moved backed to Alabama and purchased a home, she "finished" the hardwood floors and painted the walls herself. I've seen her refinish furniture, spray paint wicker, and gild a picture frame. I'm so grateful to have a sister who's readily available for help, support, and guidance. She's much too modest to reveal these qualities to anyone. I'm glad to share it with the world. Happy Birthday! To my sister Sherron Kaye!

No comments: