Friday, May 22, 2009

The Great Outdoors



Back in 2005, my husband and I visited the beautiful Multnomah Falls (near Troutdale OR) on our way to Boise ID. We drove along the winding Interstate 84 that goes along the Columbia River to get there. It's the 2nd tallest year-round waterfall in the U.S., dropping crystal clear water 620 feet into a mossy forest cavern. The stunning falls are fed by underground springs from Larch Mountain. A hiking trail leads to the stone footbridge, allowing you to cross the lower cascade. The path continues on switchbacks to a platform at the top of the falls which has a great birds-eye view. At the base of the falls is a 1925 lodge with a restaurant and gift shop. We had breakfast there in front of a wood-burning stone fireplace before our moderate 2.3 mile trek. It was great to breathe the fresh scent of evergreens, hear birds sing, and experience some real peace.


Strolling along in nature is therapeutic for me, makes me slow down. It seems like nature makes my stress reduce and my blood pressure lower. Spending time in the open air somehow makes me feel more alive and healthier. For me, being outside has a way of improving my overall mood. Try it, take some time to escape to the great outdoors.

No comments: