Friday, July 17, 2009

Decorative Details


Anyone who knows me realizes I have an interest in home decor, interior design, and remodeling. It's the details that give a place a touch of style. It shows that one took the extra step, gave more consideration. My southern background makes me want to have a gracious and inviting home. I think it's important to make a room meaningful.


Showcase elements of your life by framing significant photos and memorabilia. This adds personal history to a space. Add organic matter to a room using greenery, plants, fresh flowers, aquarium, or fountain. The accessories you choose should be meaningful, but not too many to clutter a room. All items should serve a positive purpose or be something you absolutely love. Floor spaces should be free of clutter. Work material, gym equipment, and electronic equipment should never be the main focus to a room. Be creative and let your character shine through the finishing touches. Rearrange items in a room periodically in order to keep things fresh. These things add a personal reflection of the resident and give your home a distinctive look and leave a lasting impression on your guests.


I love architectural details: crown molding, wainscoting, baseboards, mantels, banisters, built-ins, arch ways, corbels, pillars, ceiling medallions, light fixtures, door knobs, cabinetry, hardware, stained glass, shutters, French doors, bay windows, hardwood flooring, stone tiles, ironwork, brick, high ceilings, Lighting fixtures must be functional, but they can also be fashionable or an art object. Curtains must cover windows and block light, but they can serve a decorative purpose to accent a room. They can be used to insulate a room or divide spaces. Shelving can maximize storage space, but they can also add style as a decorative feature.


Finally, I am a firm believer that God provided me with a wonderful home and it is my duty to share it with others. Therefore, I always strive to be hospitable and host visitors as often as I can. Come see me!

No comments: