Friday, June 12, 2009

Summer Setting


The grass is greener, the sun is brighter, and the days are longer, yes summer is upon us with all its joy and vibrancy. To me, summer means barefoot children playing tag, dashing through sprinklers, and selling lemonade. It means sunny days, blue skies, bountiful gardens, bike rides, beach trips, fresh peaches, tasty watermelon, home-made ice cream, roses, and socializing.

I love these late evenings outdoors on my new back porch deck. My husband stained and hung up our porch swing. My father bought it for me years ago as a house warming present. My parents drove across the U.S. to visit us. We had bought our first home. It had a covered back porch. It bothered him that it didn't have a porch swing. He went out and purchased one and hung it up for me. If you knew my dad, you'd know he's not free with his money. So, the porch swing has a tender place in my heart, knowing that he freely gave this gift to me.

I love looking out my front windows to our lovely garden yard. The window box is starting to mature and fill in nicely. Everything looks so gorgeous and lush right now. Dale does a wonderful job of keeping it looking pristine. He not only mows, he leaf blows the grass, power washes the paths, edges the walkways, trims the bushes, and pulls weeds. Luckily, we have a built-in sprinkler system. All we have to do is program it to come on at certain times and the lawn gets watered automatically.

I associate watermelon with summer. I love eating sweet red watermelon, juice dripping from my mouth and hands, and spitting seeds to my heart's content (only time its O.K. for a lady to spit). Summer is a cause for gatherings. Be sure to take time for friends and family, later on, you won't look back and regret it.

No comments: